This hearty recipe is packed full of B group vitamins and is a great source of protein and carbohydrates, perfect for post training especially in the colder months! This recipe is also great to meal prep - simply decide into containers and place in the fridge or freezer.
PREPARATION: 10 MIN
COOKING TIME: 35 MINS
4 cups (1L) chicken stock
Parmesan rind (optional)
1 brown onion, peeled reserving skin, finely chopped
1 tbs olive oil
2 small chicken breasts, thinly sliced
200g brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 cups (300g) arborio rice
1/2 cup (125ml) white wine or extra chicken stock
60g Baby Rocket or spinach
1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
1. Place stock in a medium saucepan and add the parmesan. Bring to a simmer over high heat.
2. Heat half the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken, turning, for 2 mins or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Add the mushroom to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until golden. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken. Loosely cover to keep warm.
4. Heat remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until the grains appear glassy. Add wine or extra stock and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 mins or until liquid is absorbed. Add 1/2 cup (125ml) hot stock and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is completely absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding more, until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and risotto is creamy (this should take about 20 mins).
5. Add chicken, mushroom and rocket to the risotto mixture and stir until the chicken is cooked through and rocket just wilts. Remove from heat. Stir in half the grated parmesan.
6. Divide among serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan to serve